“Build a Better World” Through the Eye of a Lens!
The Alexandria Public Library is sponsoring a photo contest as part of our summer reading program. This contest is open to all our adults as well as our young adults (6th grade and older). Photos need to be submitted as .jpg via email to email@example.com and must be taken by the participant.
If you are having difficulty sending us your photo, please bring your camera or phone to our front desk staff. Photos will be printed on 4X6″ photo paper and displayed throughout the library as well as on our social media (our website, Facebook and Instagram). Winners will be decided by popular vote! Patrons can easily vote for best in each category and for overall winners online or by visiting the library.
Submit from the following categories:
- Structures: buildings, technology, bridges, machine-driven mechanisms, equipment;
- Photographer’s Choice: open to a photo of choice;
- Nature: flora/fauna found in nature; and
- Travel: anywhere in the world.
Rules for submitting entries:
- Each entry must include the following: photographer’s name; title of photo; category (see above choices); email address and phone number. Teens please include your age/grade.
- Only the title of photo, category letter and identity number will be displayed with the photo.
- First, second and third place winners in each category will be awarded ribbons.
- Overall winner for teens and overall winner for adults will be awarded an Amazon.com gift card.
- A maximum of one entry per category per participant will be accepted.
- Photos need to be appropriate for viewers of all ages and the library reserves the right to refuse photos that do not meet contest criteria.
- Photo submissions will be accepted from May 22 – June 19, 2017.
- Display and voting will take place from July 3 – 15, 2017.
- Winners will be announced on MONDAY, JULY 17, 2017.
Good luck and may the best photos win!
Become a Friend of the Library!
Our Friends are a group of interested patrons who plan programs for the library. They meet in June to plan programs for the year. The group helps with the book sales, Beggar’s Night, and adult-based programming throughout the year. Anyone is welcome to become a volunteer and help with the library activities. For more information, email Denise at firstname.lastname@example.org, see any staff member, or download the Friends Member Form.
2nd Thursday of each month
September through May
Kindergarteners through 3rd graders are invited to the library for a chance to unwind after school with a snack, story and activity. Space is limited for BFF and registration is required by the 2nd Wednesday of each month. Please call 924.3561 or email Pam at email@example.com to reserve a spot for your student.
Summer Story Times coming soon. Watch this space for more information.
Please choose the time and program that fits your little one and contact the library to register:
Mondays from 7:00-7:45PM, Wednesdays from 10:00-10:45AM OR Thursdays from 10:00-10:45AM for 3, 4 & 5 year olds.
Summer Toddler Times coming soon. Watch this space for more information.
Please contact the library to register:
Mondays from 6:30-6:50PM OR Tuesdays from 10:00-10:20AM for 18 – 36 months old and caregiver.
Kurtz Brothers, Alexandria, donated the materials and time to add gravel to the library’s parking lot today.
NO MORE icy patches and knee deep puddles.
THANK YOU KURTZ BROTHERS!!!
Operation Round Up Grant Received to Repair Historic Bell
The Historical Society of Alexandria installed the Congregational Church bell on the lawn of the Alexandria Public Library in 1976. The base was built of cement and brick, unfortunately, the base did not withstand the test of time or the weather. Neither the Historical Society nor Congregational Church exists today; no funds were saved for any future care of the monument.
THANK YOU ENERGY COOPERATIVE!
Fiscal Officer Retires
Mrs. Priscilla Horn, Fiscal Officer for the library since 1967, retired on June 30, 2015. Her tireless, behind-the-scenes efforts enabling the library to be a sustainable, vibrant gathering spot for everyone, are greatly appreciated by the Board of Trustees and library staff. Mrs. Horn will continue to serve the library as a Trustee.
Thank you, Miss Priscilla for taking such great care of us!
Memorial Chair Donated
The members of the Alexandria Homemakers Club have generously donated a cozy reading chair in memory of former Homemaker, friend and longtime library patron, Mrs. Jo Budd. Their donation is a wonderful gift that all our library visitors will enjoy. The oversize chair (perfect for reading) is located in the nook near our newspapers and magazines. Thank you, Homemakers!